Long Island's Top CONCTACT US NOW
Thank You Popkin for outstanding service. Ellis and his worker were friendly, efficient and provided... read more
Hired Popkin Electric to bring my pool up to code. The crew completed the job... read more
Andrew Popkin really knows his work. One wall of our kitchen lost all power. ... read more
Andrew takes pride in what he does.
His professionalism and expertise are appreciated.
His staff is terrific... read more
I hired Popkin Electric because I had to redo the work of a cheaper company... read more
Unfortunately, electrical fires in Point Lookout homes are a frequent occurrence. These types of fires have been reported as one of the leading causes of fire and resulted in many home injuries and deaths. The good news is, your Point Lookout home and loved ones do not have to become statistics. Popkin Electric, one of the top Long Island Electrical Companies, has compiled a list of reasons that electrical fires occur. Read on so you can avoid household electrical fires.
Faulty Outlets and Appliances
All Electrical Contractors in Nassau County will tell you that many electrical fires are caused by faulty electrical outlets and old, outdated appliances. Other fires are started by shorts in appliance cords or switches. To avoid these types of accidents, you shouldn’t ever use an appliance with a worn or frayed cord. This can send heat onto combustible surfaces like floors, curtains, and rugs that can start a fire right away.
Faulty Light fixtures
Many fires in Nassau County are caused by faulty light fixtures, lamps and light bulbs. If you accidentally install a bulb with a wattage that is too high for the lamps and light fixtures, you could be in danger of starting an electrical fire. To be safe, you should always check the maximum recommended bulb wattage on any lighting fixture or lamp and never go over the recommended amount.Misuse of Extension Cords
Did you know that extension cords should only be used as a temporary measure of power? These cords are not meant to withstand a major power supply for a long period of time. Many people have started fires by plugging in major appliances into extension cords. If you do not have the correct outlets for an appliance that you own, call a commercial contractor who can install new ones for you in Point Lookout.
Space Heaters in Bad Locations
Space heaters are a great way to carry heat with you wherever you need to go in Nassau County. However, sometimes people put them in the wrong locations. Space heaters should never be placed anywhere near combustible surfaces. Combustible surfaces include surfaces such as curtains, beds, clothing, rugs, couches, and chairs. If you own a coil space heater, you must be even more careful. The coils in these kinds of space heaters get so hot that they can almost instantly ignite any nearby flammable surface. If you do use space heaters, use the radiator-type that diffuses heat over the entire surface of the appliance. These are less likely to ignite flammable items, but should still be kept far away from them.Outdated Wiring
If your home in Point Lookout Nassau is over 20 years old, you may have some outdated wiring. Outdated wiring in Nassau can cause major electrical fires. Point Lookout homes that are on the older side are not equipped with the wiring capacity that is often used by electrical appliances today. Air conditioners, microwaves, computers, and other major appliances have caused damage to many older homes. Breakers should be triggered when circuits get overloaded by too much electricity, but outdated breaker boxes often have worn connectors that do not work. This can cause the entire electrical system to overload and start an electrical fire. If you need to get new wiring done in your home, you should call a Long Island electrician for a consultation for prices on updated electrical services.
If you would like more information about how you can avoid electrical fires, please call Popkin Electric today. We would be more than happy to discuss ways you can safely enjoy your appliances. Remember that your Point Lookout home doesn’t have to be one of the many that have been destroyed by electrical fires. Our team of electricians in Suffolk County are here to ensure that you and your family stay safe and connected!